2nd Annual Ugly keyboard contest!

Discussion in 'General' started by MrEvil, Jul 17, 2014.

1. MrEvil

MrEvil Professional Badass

Jul 14, 2011
    Murphy, TX
    We know some of you gamers out there are, how should I say this, less than hygenic when it comes to their computer peripherals. Tonight July 17th at 11:59 PM we will be holding our 2nd annual ugly keyboard contest at the X-fire booth in the BYOC (out in front of the NOC)

Come have your uncleanliness be judged by our special guest judges who will be rating your filth on a 140 point scale. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and last place!

Please no liquids dripping from keyboards and obvious attempts at sabotaging your own keyboard will be disqualified.

Special thanks to our friends from nVidia and Thermaltake as well your forum admins for providing prizes for this year's contest. Come on by the contest to find out what cool items we have to give away!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. omegatotal

omegatotal Baby's First WASD

Jul 12, 2013
    Central Florida
    subscribed for pics ( Please post pics )

3. stimepy

stimepy Orbital Strike

Apr 12, 2012
    Damit, I knew I shouldn't have bought a new keyboard!

4. MrEvil

Jul 14, 2011
    Murphy, TX
    Location has changed. We confirmed we will be able to use the X-fire.com space in the BYOC out in front of the NOC. See you there.

5. Sirskippy

Sirskippy Forum Staff Staff Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Oh yes. There will be pics.

6. Juraii

Juraii Lost Packets

Jul 18, 2014
    Denton, Tx
    one of the Keyboards under the black light had looked like it had some kind of growth. TOO NASTY!

7. Sirskippy

Jul 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    IMG_5157.jpg

You guys is nasty.

I'll get some more pics uploaded once I get a chance to get them processed!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  8. LaurenKittie

LaurenKittie Baby's First WASD

Mar 1, 2012
    I think when I saw that I threw up in my mouth a little

9. Sirskippy

Jul 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
  10. Neg1

Neg1 Forum Staff Staff Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Huge shout out to Clay from NVIDIA for providing 2 Shield units, Shannon from Tt eSPORTS for providing a keyboard, Claudia from Func for providing a keyboard and the Qcon Forum admins for providing the other prizes.
    Thanks to everyone that participated. We got a lot of great feedback and it sounds like people really like the late night events. Our sponsors all want to help out and do more things in the BYOC after the exhibit hall closes for the true hardcore gamer. We have some big plans for the forums in the works and hope to reveal them to you in the coming months.
    I think we got some video and will try and get that up this week.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  11. twodavez

twodavez Forum Staff Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I didn't hear about this until it was already over. Was there a reason it wasn't discussed prior to Quakecon, or was it supposed to be a secret?
    I really didn't check the forums a ton while at Quakecon, i figured the plans were set, and it was finally time to enjoy the event...

12. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    We worried that if people knew about it before hand we would have people trying to purposely dirty a keyboard. This is a thing now so we will probably do this and more next year.

13. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I would've dirtied a keyboard. but it would've been funny, not gross. Plus not being glued to the 100's of posts made during the event, i didn't even realize it was going down.

Did the Forums use the Steam group to push out announcements in years prior about things going on?

14. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    No use of the steam group, but we did use twitter and facebook a bunch.

15. MrEvil

Jul 14, 2011
    Murphy, TX
    Just to be clear, the reason for not announcing this contest sooner is so we don't have people bringing us some $10 keyboard that they've poured a Coke all over and burned with a soldering iron beforehand. Yes it is likely we'll do this sort of contest again, but we don't want people to do any pre-work in advance. Also, we don't have prizes fully ironed out until we actually get to the con and talk with some of the sponsors, but they always come through for us.

16. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    More pics from Tt eSPORTS https://www.facebook.com/shannon.ro...0203423512662510.1073741830.1653233566&type=1

We made some good contacts this year with us doing this contest a 2nd time, our youtube video and just being a major presence at the con. I have a stack of cards from the sponsors that would like to help us with this and other contest ideas we have for quakecon and even maybe our game nights. Once we do the site upgrade next month we will be in a good position to reach out and start planning future partnerships. Since many of the sponsors really had no clue who we were before this year it was very hard to get replies back and pre plan this event. I foresee next year being much easier on us, we finely have the respect and trust of Bethesda, id, sponsors and especially the community.

17. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I understand, but i'm naturally a clean person, and i think doing a "keyboard" mod to make it dirty would be a fun challenge.

No worries, i just was lost with all the posts now that the forums are actually taking off at the con. It's a good "problem" to have, i just need to learn how to re-adjust to accommodate for it. The pictures looked great and last year i remember it being a fun event.

18. MrEvil

Jul 14, 2011
    Murphy, TX
    Trust me when I say we're already working on providing some more late-night fun for the BYOC for next year.