BWL's LPU Challenge

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by TheWildcat, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas

2017 will be the 9th year of the BWL RoadTrip. Once again, we will be starting the season off with a trip to FADECON.

But this time, we're going a bit further with the FADECON RoadTrip. Instead of an LPU Special as I have done in the past, I'm announcing BWL's LPU Challenge.

Based on our Creativity Team try outs, the challenge is a 3 Round elimination competition and give away.

The try outs aren't specifically about skill as much as keeping a cool head under pressure and banter. This challenge is not a true tournament in that we aren't making brackets and using CONFOGL. It's more like a raffle that you can influence by playing the game well.

Three Rounds, three different game play elements throughout the weekend. You will work together and against each other, and all the while be forced to hear myself and a few others offer tips and criticism of your performance.

Challenge Sign-Up

10:00 AM - 01:00 PM

Round 1: TBA

01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

Round 2: TBA

After 06:00 PM
    [likely split into single challenger runs throughout the night]

Round 3: TBA

Match 1: 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
    Match 2: 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM
    Match 3: 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM or later based on convenience.

The prizes aren't high end, but they are good pieces of hardware that I picked up along the way. I won't be showing those off until the third round of the challenge.

And I am hoping to add to the prize pool between now and then. Only three people will make it to Round 3, but those three people will at least win something.

Sign up begins now and will run until FADECON Friday an hour or so before the challenge begins. I need to know you're handle and that you can be there Friday and Saturday.

Be sure to let me know you're there on Friday so I can assign you to a Round 1 group.

You need Discord and Left 4 Dead 2. I have four remaining copies of L4D2 in my steam inventory to give away on a first come first serve basis. It will also likely be on sale for a really low price during the Holiday/Winter sale on steam. So if you don't have the game, you should be able to pick it up at some point.

Challengers:

1. FADE
    2. =HPSF=RMP
    3. Jerry Longbine Ŧ
    4. Buzzkiller
    Expect the bumper and round briefing videos to go live on YouTube at the following times.

Challenger Bumper: 09:00 AM Friday
    Round 1 Briefing: 12:00 PM [noon] Friday
    Round 2 Briefing: 05:00 PM Friday
    Round 3 Briefing: 09:00 AM Saturday​

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Buzzkiller likes this.
  2. =HPSF=RMP

=HPSF=RMP PhD in Pain

Jul 17, 2011
    Keller, TX
    Sure , sign me up

3. LoneStar

LoneStar Baby's First WASD

Apr 15, 2013
  4. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
  5. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    I've been making up the score sheets and sign up sheets for different activities I have planned.

One thing I need is judges for the challenge round 1 and 2. Mostly, this is a matter of watching people start and end their attempts and writing down numbers on their score sheets. You CAN join the challenge and be a judge, but that is dependent on you finishing your challenge run and having time to be a judge for other teams.

With that, and wanting to encourage overall participation in the overnight hours, during the IAS special I'm planning, etc... I am setting aside a couple of the better prizes for Sunday morning. I will have a small drawing using random numbers. Two winners.

I will have an extra sign-up sheet with me while at my seat or taking sign ups. Sign up for and participate in the Challenge, I'll add your name to the extra list. Serve as a Judge for round 1, I'll add your name to the sheet. Be in the lan at 3 or 4 am still playing, I may add your name to the list. The more stuff you do, the more times your name will be on that extra list. Each name has a number by it for the drawing. Using random.org, I'll pick two numbers the name by those numbers wins.

Participating in BWL's activities means you get more chances to win in my little drawing Sunday as well as having a chance at games and goodies during the event.

I've bought some smaller goodies and my last order is in to Newegg just waiting for delivery. It's under 2 weeks now. Get ready.

Buzzkiller likes this.
  6. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Schedule is subject to change.

Challenge Sign-Up
    10:00 AM - 01:00 PM​

Round 1: TBA
    01:00 PM - 03:00 PM​

Round 2: TBA
    After 06:00 PM
    [likely split into single challenger runs throughout the night]​

Round 3: TBA
    Match 1: 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
    Match 2: 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM
    Match 3: 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM or later based on convenience.​

A more detailed explanation.

Okay, in terms of schedule for the LPU Challenge, I've had to keep this fairly fluid. The event itself is three rounds. I am allowing for 2 hours in Round 1, 1-2 hours for Round 2, and 3 hours for round 3 but spread out into 1 hour matches throughout the day Saturday. As with the main event schedule this is all subject to change. I am also willing to make minor exceptions to the schedule based on qualifying need, but don't count on that.

I am planning to have Challenge sign-ups when I can. Officially, I think the times will be 10:00 AM to 01:00 PM on Friday. However, the start time is not set in stone. Basically, find me by 01:00 PM. And don't forget, you can pre-sign up for the challenge here on the forums.

Round 1 is planned to be 2 hours. It should not take more then 1 hour or so to complete, but I am allowing time for slower, more tactical play and/or restarts. Assuming I am able to get enough judges, everyone will make their attempt at the same time. If I can't get enough judges together, then I will have to overlap other events and possibly spread the round out all day. At this time, I am planning Round one for Friday from 01:00 PM to 03:00 PM. This should see the round finished before RoTT deathmatch begins. This round will have the most leeway for schedule tweaks due to some challengers possibly arriving later in the day. Make sure you are communicating to me with regard to your needs.

Expect a round briefing video to go live on YouTube at around noon on Friday.

Round 2 should take about an hour total. Challengers will have been trimmed. Only 8 will remain I am allowing up to 20 mins per challenger, but as a time-based challenge it should never take that long. Challengers will only be needed for their attempt, though you may want to watch your opponents compete or talk some shit to them in the BWL Discord during their attempts. I do not have a firmly set time for this event as I want to complete it Friday night and the main event schedule is fairly full. We could start as late as 01:00 AM Saturday or as early as 06:00 PM Friday depending on how long the UT Facing Worlds CTF takes. Better still, due to the nature of this round, I can split it up into individual runs during the lulls between other events. This seems like one of the more likely choices given the dense schedule and my desire NOT to overlap someone else. Therefore, be ready by 06:00 PM Friday. I will know better at that time when this will work best.

Expect a round briefing video to go live on YouTube around 05:00 PM on Friday.

Finally, Round 3 will be divided into 3 full matches. Each could take an hour, but will probably take less. Only 3 challengers remain but all three are needed for each match. I plan to spread out the rounds throughout Saturday to give our challengers and myself a break between matches. Saturday is a fairly full main event schedule, but you will notice a few nice hour long gaps here and there. We will basically occupy these gaps. I can move matches around a bit based on challenger need, but only so much. We could do matches well into the overnight hours, but I'd rather not. I'm doing the IAS special during that time. Frankly, I don't want to overlap my own events either. For the moment, plan for Round 3 - Match 1 to be from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Match 2 will be from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM after hard drive shot put. And Match 3 will be at 10:00 PM or after the console fight club, whichever is more convenient at the time due to not knowing how long the Smash Bros tournament will be.

Expect a round briefing video to go live on YouTube around 09:00 AM Saturday.

I will plan to announce 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place and give out those prizes after the third round.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Buzzkiller likes this.
  7. LoneStar

LoneStar Baby's First WASD

Apr 15, 2013
    I would play but I haven't played the game much! Sounds fun though......

Buzzkiller likes this.
  8. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Well, lack of game time really should not be that big of a factor. If you can be there and have the game and discord, you should really try it.

The ai director tries to compensate for lack of experience and the way the rounds are set up, this should be more of a luck game that can be influenced by playing well. It would be different if we were playing with confogl and brackets and whatnot, but I didn't want that kind of contest. This is all about the fun and the chaos.

I want to get a bunch of people in round 1 so I can randomly assign several teams, but only the top 2 teams will advance. Even so, everyone that tries gets a name on my BWL participation drawing sheet for a chance at some other prizes. So do the judges for round 1 and round 2. Those are separate entries. So again, not much reason to abstain.

Anyway, I'm trying to think up some drinking game rules for the Challenge at the moment. Paces mentioned it in our most recent Creativity Team Tryout. I included his comment in the challenge trailer. I can't think of a better place to test it out.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Buzzkiller likes this.
  9. FADE

FADE Thread Necromancer

Jul 15, 2011
    The Center of Attention
    looking forward to this :)

10. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    LPU Challenge Drinking Game

Main Rules:

For each trigger event, take a drink. Especially in Round 1... as you see it, say it. Shout out the trigger name so those that can't see your game know what happened.​

Disorientation
    If a challenger becomes lost in the map and struggles to find their way to the exit, take a drink. This has a better chance of occurring in rounds 2 & 3. -- Disorientation is also the name of a gmod machinima series we are planning.
    Karma/Fail Charge
    When a Karma Charge or Fail Charge happens, take a drink. Note that this does not count simply missing a charge or charging someone off a ledge. A Karma Charge is off a ledge high enough to either incapacitate or kill the survivor. A fail charge is when one plows into a wall or off a ledge without a survivor. Embarrassingly bad charge.
    Let Go
    Any time a bot puts a survivor in danger by trying to heal them, take a drink. This is more likely in Round 2 & 3, but can happen in round 1 if a player goes idle. If you've ever watched enough of our videos with bot players, then you know that if you are hurt they try to heal you. And that they have a nasty habit of doing so during horde events, tank attacks, or any time inappropriate. This is particularly true because it brings the player to a complete stop each time they try.
    Survival
    All the survivors reach the safe room, take a drink to celebrate. This should happen fairly regularly in Round 1. Maybe not so much in Rounds 2 and 3.
    Wipe Out
    The entire survivor team is wiped out in a matter of seconds, take a drink. This will be fairly common in certain areas like map 2 of round 3. This is not the same as just loosing the entire team. It's when the entire team is pounced, smoked, or jockey beat at the exact same time or crushed by a tank tossed car or the like.
    Special Glitch
    When a glitch causes an unusual effect with a special infected such as the flying jockey, take a drink. Occasionally, glitches happen. A smoker bounces a player around or a dead jockey rockets into the sky for no reason. That sort of thing.
    Qualifying Ride
    If a jockey rides a survivor for 8 seconds or more, take a drink. This is also a versus achievement.
    Teleported
    If a bot teleports, take a drink. Bots have bad path-finding, they often correct it by teleporting. This will be particularly common in Rounds 2 & 3, but should not happen in Round 1.
    Da Plane
    If a plane crashes, take a drink. In Round 3, this may happen.
    Fireworks
    If someone sets off fireworks, take a drink. In Rounds 2 & 3, this may happen.
    Levitation
    If a player, zombie, or anything else floats in place in the air, take a drink. From time to time, things defiy the laws of physics. Especially gravity. Particularly in Round 1, you could see floating zombies or players.
    If you think of something you'd like to see added, let me know. I may or may not add it, but I'm open to ideas.

Also, should we take a page out of Master Pancake's playbook and choose a drinking game phrase? I'm leaving that up to you folks. Tell me here. Basically, that would be something to yell in response. So, the active challenger(s) would yell out a trigger - for example "DA PLANE!" or "FAIL CHARGER!". Everyone else would respond by yelling back the drinking game phrase and then take a drink.

Removed Triggers:

**** Witch / **** Tank

I made a quick run through this campaign today and three of these in a matter of minutes. Given the number of teams, it would be too common.​

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    LoneStar and Buzzkiller like this.
  11. Buzzkiller

Buzzkiller Explosive Footwork

Jul 22, 2013
    Longview, Texas
    I'm in the same boat here but I'm willing to give it a shot. If nothing else I'll be cause for everyone else to have to drink a lot as well as myself!

LoneStar likes this.
  12. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    We will use Discord in Rounds 2 & 3 to make things more interesting. Feel free to use it in Round 1 as well if you like.

However, for Rounds 2 & 3, unless I learn otherwise, we will use the BWL Discord so I can control who has access to the LPU Challenge channel and role. Make sure your handle matches the one you used to sign-up. I'll assign LPU Challenger role and Server Pass role - which will also allow you to access some of the closed channels.

I think everyone would be able to listen in the LPU Challenge channel, but only Special Guest's, Tryouts, Creativity Team Members, and Challengers will be able to talk. This is to help control who can actually jump in while the Challenge is on-going.

The FADECON channel should be open to everyone with default permissions.

https://discord.gg/PFFr5s2

13. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Okay, so I think it's a good time to look for some early drinking game phrase suggestions. I'm looking for something Left 4 Dead/zombie oriented or FADECON specific maybe. I'll also take suggestions during on-site sign-up. Then we can vote or let the discord chat vote or something.

I am going to say no to the usual suggestions now though. Because "Woo Woo Woo! You Know It!" is going to be yelled regardless and the same can be said of several other phrases. We need something more identifiable as the drinking game specifically.

1. No hanky panky.

14. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  15. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas

Here is the LPU Challenge Round 1 Briefing Video.

Also, if you need the campaign, I have 3 thumb drives with it ready to go. Come see me.

16. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    We have our first completion of Round 1 with a score of 149 after adjustments.

We now have a second completion with 818. One team left to retry their run after the movie

17. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Okay, we have had an issue of an odd glitch flavor. Team Sup completed the campaign to the point of the helicopter, but was disconnected from the server. They stayed up late to try again and re-completed the campaign to the helicopter before a team wipe. When going for a second attempt on the finally at 03:00 am, the gas can didn't spawn we tried wiping the team twice and then glitch one players pov. After a 3rd wipe, still no gas can. I cannot insist that they run the campaign again. It's loosing the fun factor and more then the 1st and 2nd place teams had to do. So instead, I am going to put through 3 teams instead of 2. 12 players in Round 2. We will try to get started at around 10ish in the morning. For now I am off to bed. Good night folks.

18. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    LPU Challenge: Round 2 briefing video is live.

19. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    Round 2 has ended... the Round 3 Briefing is Live.