BYOC Seat Selling Rules

Discussion in 'Seat Buying/Selling' started by Neg1, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neg1

Neg1 Administrator Staff Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The Forums would like to publicly state our stance on buying and selling of BYOC seats. BYOC seats may be bought and sold on the forums but they must be sold at face value plus the $25 transfer fee. Selling seats over face value plus transfer fee will not be tolerated and will result in a warning or even banning.

New for 2017:
    UAC acolyte early purchasing can not be sold, traded or transferred.
    From the quakecon staff:
    "Thanks for your question. We do track who the token has been issued to and the registration that uses it, and the token shouldn't be transferred. This is an opportunity for previous UAC ticket holders to have early access and continue supporting the event. Everyone else will have an opportunity to purchase UAC Executive VIP Experience tickets on Thursday, March 30 at 7:00pm CT and join the UAC Acolyte program for benefits like early access to registration. Thanks for your interest and we hope to see you at QuakeCon 2017!"

You may list seats for sale in the Seat Buying/Selling section only.

How Transfers Work:

You are unable to transfer seats till after general registration opens on April 24th. At that time the owner of the seat can initiate a seat transfer to a person with a general registration.

Here is a screenshot of the transfer seat page in the registration system that the owner of the seat has to initiate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Methanwyr

Methanwyr Space Marine

Mar 18, 2013
    Poplar Bluff Mo.
    But what if you offered more for the seat. without asking?

3. twodavez

twodavez Super Moderator Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I'd make sure you don't do the transaction through the forums and make sure no-one finds out about it. The last thing we want is the black market to grow at our event for seats.

4. Buzzkill84

Buzzkill84 Space Marine

Jul 16, 2011
    I mean if someone posts a want as for more than face value, clearly he hasn't had luck finding a seat at that price or it is very important to them that they get a seat. If it were me, like last year, guy had a ad on reddit looking for a qdq and offered me more than face value, and I refused, he bought me a few bawls and all was well.

5. JethroBoom

JethroBoom Space Marine

Jul 31, 2013
    DFW
    What if there is more than one person wanting to pay more than face value because of their desire to get a seat is worth it to them? Eventually sets a precedent that if you don't get a ticket on registration night that you can automatically expect to pay an exorbitant amount to attain a spot.

In the spirit of the event, especially considering where we came from (free, albeit with linecon), I don't think anyone should be trying to profit off of the seats and no one should have to pay more than face value for them.

The ability to trade seats was given to us for the first time last year, and if not taken advantage of, is a great thing for the con in keeping attendance high and the BYOC full. I'm a mod of /r/QuakeCon and we're taking the exact same stance.

6. ShempsKid

ShempsKid PhD in Pain

Jul 19, 2012
    Plano, Texas
    I agree. I don't want to see this become a thing where people buy them all up just to make money. That's not what the event is about.

7. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I have spoken with JethroBoom and the forums have decided to take the same stance as the reddit page as it comes to seat sales. Like he said we are going to enforce this policy for the sake of the spirit of the event.

We can't stop you from doing sales in PMs or other private means, just on the forums in threads you can only list a seat for sale at face value plus the transfer fee. If you are looking for a seat, you are welcome to post but don't offer more then its face value.

What we don't want to see happen is what has happened at events like PAX. Where the event sells out in one day, yet you can go to the event and find scalpers outside selling passes for 2-3 times the face value.

DANGEROUSGIRL and twodavez like this.
  8. Methanwyr

Methanwyr Space Marine

Mar 18, 2013
    Poplar Bluff Mo.
    I only asked because last year I had to sale my seats. I was offered 300 for one seat (did not take it). But I wanted it put out there that is was frowned on. thats all.

9. jj_Sky5000

jj_Sky5000 Baby's First WASD

May 8, 2012
    i agree with this 100% , I have been watching PAX east for the last 4 years , I went in 2011 and 2012 no issues of getting tickets but after that tons of issues , I ask them about the scalpers buying all of the tickets they said its a very small percent like less than 2% or some crap like that . I showed him the link to ebay with 100 passes listed just in that one day , they need to change the process so people are making money off of us poor gamers.

twodavez likes this.
  10. LoneStar

LoneStar Baby's First WASD

Apr 15, 2013
    Ok, I need a seat so let me be first in line please!!!! Let me know.

11. Dirty Taco

Dirty Taco Baby's First WASD

Jun 29, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I will buy one as well. just pm me

12. Minmex

Minmex Lost Packets

Mar 12, 2015
    I could use one seat as well. Needed two, only managed to get one :(

13. LoneStar

LoneStar Baby's First WASD

Apr 15, 2013
    "Needed two, only managed to get one :("

Me too, I got in but my son didn't

14. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Right now you are unable to sell/transfer seats, since selling/transferring a seat requires you to move it to a General reg person without a seat. Once General reg opens next week you should be able to transfer seats.

15. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I think we should've had one thread and just had everyone use it. then an admin could update the master list with who signed up to keep track of who signed up for a seat first. then people could (if they didn't care who got their seat) just go to the top of the list and that person would get their seat...
    I think the topic is a huge mess now, and people who may have seats to sell/transfer don't know who to go to first since its not like i could post "Willing to pay $200 for a seat". Just a thought, although it may be a little late now. People could always use the posted date, however it would be a hunt to figure out which was posted first and then who's next...

ShempsKid likes this.
  16. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    For 2016 it's looking like there is no transfer system in place. If transfers do happen we will use the same rules as last year listed in the first post above.

17. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I know it would take a little work, but could we have a master list of people who need seats in one Pinned post to be maintained by an admin? this way everyone doesn't have to keep bumping their posts to keep them on the front page?
    We'd use the date stamp for the original post to create a list 1-50 of the people looking for a seat. then as people have seats available, they could use the list to give their seat to person #1, if they'd like.
    as people post, they could put their story as to why they need/want the seat, and obviously the person transferring would be able to choose whoever they wanted, but it would at least give them an idea of who wanted it first and was current with how Quakecon works...

ShempsKid likes this.
  18. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    That's an idea. Right now I have a ping out to some people with Quakecon they are going to check and let me know if transfers will even be a thing this year, because if they won't then none of this matters.

twodavez likes this.
  19. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    and so it begins with the "Looking for a seat" threads...

20. jex

jex Space Marine

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    I've seen a few people in different area's asking about this. Might be useful to either update your top post or make another sticky thread to address the best way for people to go about selling/transferring tickets.

JethroBoom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.