Master Pancake Theater

Discussion in 'General' started by Koronna, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Koronna

Koronna Lost Packets

Aug 30, 2017
    So anyone happen to get the scoop as to what was botched/fucked up this year at MPT? Don't get me wrong still had a blast viewing it but when they did the "Stop the movie" it felt really really short and out of place. Just curious b/c in years past those skits are what makes the event so awesome.

2. AtomicSymphonic

AtomicSymphonic Orbital Strike

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes, I agree... Something strange happened this year with the MPT skit. I wonder what happened there...

Hopefully next year will be better. That and the internet going down for an entire day really didn't help.

3. theBrayn

theBrayn Space Marine

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm not sure if you guys have watched their skits on youtube but this was basically their normal T2 skit with only a few changes/additions for Quakecon.

4. jex

jex Orbital Strike

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    I'll tell you what was off...They didn't use Harley to the extent of his abilities...they should have let him play a better part!

PeasAndClams likes this.
  5. TrunksM

TrunksM Baby's First WASD

May 2, 2012
    I don't think it was messed up at all. The lack of binge drinking while running around naked. Also with much smaller attendance, I don't think the energy level could have been nearly as high. The lack of speaking parts for the audience participation. Hopefully next year Master Pancake can plan a roast a VIP in the stop the movie portion that fulfills all Quakecon fantasies. Maybe Willow and have Pete Hines as Madmartigan.

6. Signus

Signus Space Marine

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    It did certainly feel off, but that could be based on what they had for the movie as theBrayn says. In the case of T2 their jokes were amazing, while the skit left some to be desired. That being said - Master Pancake never disappoints. I laughed my ass off and left quite inebriated, so they did their job well and I can't really complain.

7. jex

jex Orbital Strike

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    I missed having the forums meeting right after MPT. I was entirely too coherent for that.

8. ShempsKid

ShempsKid PhD in Pain

Jul 19, 2012
    Plano, Texas
    I didn't drink as much as usual for MPT. I think the hype of maybe winning $10k distracted me? I wouldn't have had anything to drink if it weren't for Kamakazi bringing me some Jose Cuervo. I mixed it with a Bawls I traded for an MPT ticket on discord and made Jose's Bawls. (Patent pending :p)

I agree though. Movie was great, stop the movie skit was... off. But it does seem it just sucks normally for this movie. :shrug:

9. PeasAndClams

PeasAndClams Space Marine

Aug 1, 2013
    Lewisville
    My only complaint was it being on Saturday night. I normally leave the con on Saturdays to avoid the crowds of people checking out. And if I have been drinking excessively the night before check out, and check out is at like 11am, I'm going to have a bad time. Either way though MPT killed it with T2. IMO it was way better than the 50 Shades mock.

10. Sirskippy

Sirskippy Forum Staff Staff Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    So many people leave Saturday night that Sunday morning checkout is a breeze. I think I had to wait all of 2 minutes before someone could scan me out.

11. Signus

Signus Space Marine

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    That's really my only big problem with it. Especially having to be up at 8am to start helping teardown was...painful. I think Friday is best for MPT.

12. twodavez

twodavez Forum Staff Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I thought teardown didn't start until noon when the BYOC officially closed...

13. ShempsKid

ShempsKid PhD in Pain

Jul 19, 2012
    Plano, Texas
    There's lots of other stuff to teardown other than BYOC.

14. Signus

Signus Space Marine

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, teardown started before noon for just about everything else.

15. TheWildcat

TheWildcat Space Marine

Aug 3, 2011
    Texas
    The ESL stuff was nearly down by 5am. There was trash everywhere.

16. jex

jex Orbital Strike

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    I completely agree that this movie was way better. I mean they are a pretty humorous crew but there's only so much you can do when the movie sucks something awful to begin with...I think for an environment like QuakeCon they should stick to action and Sci-Fi. Still though...you were top notch last year...I was disappointed they didn't put you in any fantastically awkward speaking roles this year. :p

Also...lol AT&T. That phrase brought people together so much better than one could ever expect. The people around me were like 'yeah, this one time they did this'...'oh no kidding right, I once had this happen when I used them', 'oh word? remember that time they provided internet to a few thousand gaming nerds and then took it away for hours'.

Every year there are things I'd change...but every year I come away with a much longer list of things I enjoyed.