More "official" BYOC tournaments

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Titanus Ferrum, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Titanus Ferrum

Titanus Ferrum Baby's First WASD

Aug 6, 2016
    This was my first year attending Quakecon and I found the official BYOC tournaments/events to be lacking.

I would like to suggest more official BYOC tournaments to be held if not by the staff then fellow attendees. I don't care about prizes or money just something competitive to look forward to.

I live locally but had I had to travel hundreds of miles to attend and pay the overpriced rates of the Anatole I would not have been too happy.

I can stay at home and play random games with my friends for no additional cost or travel at all.

I also suggest that the tournaments be announced further in advance then they were, 1-2 weeks before is not enough time.

2. twodavez

twodavez Super Moderator Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    Thanks for the comments. Can you help me understand what tournaments you would've liked to have seen and also where they may have fit the best on the schedule?

From the information desk perspective, we took votes several weeks in advance for game selection, and used those voted on. We timed the tournaments to have the least impact on the panels and other large events that attendees typically attend at Quakecon.

Thanks for helping us help you by making some suggestions for us to build upon for future years.

3. Titanus Ferrum

Aug 6, 2016
    There were only 6 tournaments over multiple games and they did not last long over Thurs-Sat for the BYOC event, I participated in the Overwatch and 16 FFA Quake live ones and my time in those was maybe about 90 min total over the entire weekend.

A suggestion would be having a quake live/quake world open at the level of the duel or 2v2 major tournaments held. I could not find anywhere on the forums or quakecon website what the requirements were to get in those or how to register. Having an open would help increase the size of the prize pool.

Also having money tournaments exclusive/non-exclusive among BYOC, online, etc spread out would help.

More tournaments surrounding Quake Live, Quake World, or the new Doom would have been good. What was announced for the BYOC was only posted a week before the event.

When I was there half of the people at BYOC were playing Overwatch, a very good game imo but not in the Quake spirit.

If Quake Champions is out before Quakecon 2017 maybe hold a lot of BYOC, online, money/no-money, open, etc tournaments regularly focusing on that.

Quakecon 2016 BYOC was not bad at all, far from it, I just feel that more open competition in the Quake spirit was needed.

The only other suggestion I can bring up is to find a new location for Quakecon, the Anatole is not the best location for that.

twodavez likes this.
  4. Signus

Signus Physics Don't Apply

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    There are generally a number of disparate tournaments from sponsors/vendors or other third parties. They are either not publicized well, their servers can't handle the load, or they're for games that few people play en masse these days. I've wanted this to improve but really if you hear about a tournament, post it on the forums or IRC to get it out there.

My suggestion is that with a suggestion, supply a reason. What makes you say it was not the best location?

Obviously since QCon 2016 it was announced we'll be at the Gaylord. This talk has been floating around for years, and there are two parts to the story:
    1. QuakeCon 2009 (and '04/'05) was at the Gaylord, but not only did we manage to cause alot in damages, cut the power for part of the building, and just in general cause issues that the staff was not fond of (I was part of the...mischievous no-gooders myself) , we were not welcome back for the time being given the size of the LAN at the time.
    2. After 2009 there was an agreement with the Anatole (not certain as to whether this was a full-fledged contract) that to my understanding had just expired following this past year.

5. Titanus Ferrum

Aug 6, 2016
    First, the issue is there needs to be a go to point of contact for those announcements, some respond to facebook, others use reddit, with many other apps out there. If there is a main point that everyone follows I would repost the tournament the second I heard about it.

As for the location, let me start with the parking situation. I live locally in Dallas, no parking was available at the Anatole for Sat or Sun of the '16 event. That and any parking nearby does not allow extended parking stays either, for obvious business reasons, effectively restricting parking options to the Anatole only.

Second was the lack of space there, the Anatole has always been notorious for overbooking multiple events, Quakecon is not the only event I have been to there and it has happened at others too. This makes for a cramped environment and I don't care for it.

As for the behavior of attendees, that is a matter that should be handed by the Quakecon staff. I along with the staff do not want the reputation of being a group of troublemakers. The host should never be disrespected.

6. Signus

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    There is. http://www.quakecon.org/contact/

This is quite true of the Anatole. QuakeCon has grown well beyond its britches, but there is little ability to make massive changes to an event like QuakeCon (even over the years) when few event venues even want a crowd like QuakeCon in their vicinity. Most people have little clue what goes into planning a LAN of this size. I've done a LAN of 40-80 people and the venue is the absolute worst part of it all. Getting the Anatole, let alone the Gaylord to agree to hosting QuakeCon is a blessing. It comes with disadvantages, though.

Absolutely. This has been handled much better in recent years and I have been glad to see the event grow (especially since I have grown with it, true for many attendees who have grown up with QuakeCon). Though not to the credit of the new hired security who in my opinion add little value to the event.

7. jex

jex Space Marine

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    I think his complaint is that when he finds out about a tourney then he'd have to go to Facebook, forums, discord, Steam, etc to announce if he's found out about a new tournament. If he emails someone using that link during the actual event saying that there is a tournament happening would they post it somewhere in particular? Additionally, would they first have to go verify the information and not make it in time for the tournament to be announced. If nothing else maybe we could create a sticky thread in the tournaments section of the forums and let anyone with admin rights work to keep the list updated based on new threads being created in the tournament section. Other than that...the internet has become a little too diverse to control. Without QuakeCon ditching all but one communication platform, therefore limiting their footprint (which is not a good thing in this case), we are going to find information posted all over the place. QuakeCon may just need to tell the vendors and attendees that they need to report all planned tournaments, preferably prior to the event, and then have something posted on the main page with times and details for each official tourney?

8. Signus

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, absolutely. Let's just create a bot that scrapes all of the sources to look for potential tournaments and post them in the forums :p

9. jex

jex Space Marine

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    Yes, you do that. So far I'm hearing you've got an overabundance of free time and that you're going to create a bot that scrubs for tourney details, a fully fancy registration system that makes everyone happy, and a badge that has all the bells and whistles! Is there anything you can't solve? : P

Signus likes this.
  10. Signus

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I mean...I just use what little free time I have to create random scripts and whatnot. I should start some of this stuff :p The registration system no, but a competing solution to Queue-It, maybe...if I get some folks to work on that one with me.

Only problem with scraping tourney details is that people often don't provide everything people need. I can start playing around with it, though!

11. theBrayn

theBrayn Physics Don't Apply

Jul 1, 2013
    Ugh, scrapers... I deal with those enough at work as it is.

12. Signus

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Ditto. As we know though, bots serve a purpose. The point being people shouldn't have to goto 5-10 different sources to figure out where tournaments are. I'm open to ideas. :)

13. cwizard

cwizard Celebrity & Scholar

Aug 1, 2012
    Houston, TX
    This year we have tons of official BYOC tournaments :)

Signus likes this.