Preparing Your Computer For Quakecon - FAQ version 2017

Discussion in 'Quakecon FAQs' started by DeusEx, Mar 10, 2017.

1. MilkmanWes

MilkmanWes Explosive Footwork

Jul 14, 2016

I totally get what you are saying, but having a high end mouse or keyboard or headset walk off totally sucks and the effort of locking them down is minimal. It is all in your own personal risk analysis whether the effort is required and I prefer to not take the extra chances.

2. Durandal

Durandal Lost Packets

Aug 8, 2017
    They're allowing people to bring their own cables, and this might just be me, but it almost sounds like they're implying that bringing cables is required. There will be the standard, CAT5e cables already there, right?

Also, what's the speed of those cables, of the network used? I'm thinking of buying CAT6a cables, but want to know if there's reason to.

KamaKazi06 likes this.
  3. KamaKazi06

KamaKazi06 "Fucking Quake Master' Staff Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Oklahoma City, TX
    Speed varies but plan on being strong as usual :p also on the cable preferred to bring yours but yes some will be available if need be still.

4. theBrayn

theBrayn Space Marine

Jul 1, 2013
    I believe switches were confirmed as 10/100 from cwizard.

KamaKazi06 likes this.
  5. Signus

Signus Space Marine

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    It doesn't quite matter what you bring so long as it is CAT5 (doi) and above. CAT6 and CAT7 cables are compatible with CAT5 until you hit certain bandwidths. I'm using a CAT7 cable to a 10/100/1000 switch to a 10/100/1000 router with a CAT5 in between. Zero issues.

6. Zeclorn

Zeclorn Lost Packets

Aug 20, 2017
    When it comes to physical security, I feel pretty good. My case has a eyelet for a lock. I then run my mouse, headphone, and keyboard cable through a simple washer (eye of the washer smaller then a USB key) and secure it into the lock as well. The result, is a very secure, but very simple setup.
    [​IMG]

7. DeusEx

DeusEx Orbital Strike

Jul 15, 2011
    Gladewater, TX
    Now that the con has come and gone for this year, I'm now asking for feedback to streamline the FAQ for next year's con. A similar thread will be posted to the Quakecon subreddit in the next day or so as well asking for improvement to the FAQ. I accept constructive criticism; along with free Bawls :D

8. Eradicator

Eradicator Physics Don't Apply

Apr 10, 2015
    Garland, TX
    Sorry if someone has already said it... Given the rare possibility that the internet could go down for a loooooooong time, the importance of downloading some single player games can't be overstated. :)

9. Signus

Signus Space Marine

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    So you're saying I have an even better excuse to hoard even more data?! I'll accept.

10. DeusEx

DeusEx Orbital Strike

Jul 15, 2011
    Gladewater, TX
    I'll make sure to add something like this to the FAQ as well. I was in the Exhibit Hall Friday afternoon this year, but heard all of the bitching in Discord about the internet being down on Thursday night.

11. twodavez

twodavez Forum Staff Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    But if the internet was down, how could people connect to Discord... I'm suspect about this whole internet even being down. LOL

Signus likes this.
  12. theBrayn

theBrayn Space Marine

Jul 1, 2013
    uhhh... because people use discord on their phones as well?

13. DeusEx

DeusEx Orbital Strike

Jul 15, 2011
    Gladewater, TX
    I have Discord on my phone as well. It's a POS phone, but it can handle Discord okay.

14. twodavez

twodavez Forum Staff Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I was just kidding. I use it on my phone too.

15. Sirskippy

Sirskippy Forum Staff Staff Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I didn't put 10 Terabytes of disk space in my gaming PC just to delete stuff!!!

jex and Signus like this.
  16. jex

jex Orbital Strike

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    The best kind of hoarding is the virtual kind. Also...the internet going down is the main reason I tell all my friends to load up EVERY game you plan to play before you shut your computer down at home. That way it's got any updates it needs and even if it doesn't work over the internet then anything with LAN or single player should still work fine. Most of the people in my area had Quake Live ready to go but anyone that didn't couldn't play without internet patches. You don't have to play every game but every game absolutely should be started up to make sure it doesn't require any additional patches.

17. Signus

Signus Space Marine

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    New QuakeCon requirement: A secondary drive of 250GB or more :cool: