Preparing Your Computer For Quakecon - FAQ version 2017

Discussion in 'Quakecon FAQs' started by DeusEx, Mar 10, 2017.

1. MilkmanWes

MilkmanWes Baby's First WASD

Jul 14, 2016

I totally get what you are saying, but having a high end mouse or keyboard or headset walk off totally sucks and the effort of locking them down is minimal. It is all in your own personal risk analysis whether the effort is required and I prefer to not take the extra chances.

2. Durandal

Durandal Lost Packets

Aug 8, 2017
    They're allowing people to bring their own cables, and this might just be me, but it almost sounds like they're implying that bringing cables is required. There will be the standard, CAT5e cables already there, right?

Also, what's the speed of those cables, of the network used? I'm thinking of buying CAT6a cables, but want to know if there's reason to.

KamaKazi06 likes this.
  3. KamaKazi06

KamaKazi06 "Fucking Quake Master' Staff Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Oklahoma City, TX
    Speed varies but plan on being strong as usual :p also on the cable preferred to bring yours but yes some will be available if need be still.

4. theBrayn

theBrayn Space Marine

Jul 1, 2013
    I believe switches were confirmed as 10/100 from cwizard.

KamaKazi06 likes this.
  5. Signus

Signus Physics Don't Apply

Aug 5, 2011
    Denver, CO
    It doesn't quite matter what you bring so long as it is CAT5 (doi) and above. CAT6 and CAT7 cables are compatible with CAT5 until you hit certain bandwidths. I'm using a CAT7 cable to a 10/100/1000 switch to a 10/100/1000 router with a CAT5 in between. Zero issues.

6. Zeclorn

Zeclorn Lost Packets

Sunday
    When it comes to physical security, I feel pretty good. My case has a eyelet for a lock. I then run my mouse, headphone, and keyboard cable through a simple washer (eye of the washer smaller then a USB key) and secure it into the lock as well. The result, is a very secure, but very simple setup.
    [​IMG]