Quakecon 2016 Checklist

Discussion in 'General' started by SnoochieBooch, Jul 29, 2016.

1. SnoochieBooch

SnoochieBooch Explosive Footwork

Jul 19, 2011
    Grapevine, TX
    Hello everyone, well Quakecon 2016 is right around the corner. So, in an attempt to help out my fellow quakers, and to help contain my hype, I've decided to have a go at creating a checklist of items you may not have thought about. "But SnoochieBooch, didn't you do this last year?" Well yes, but maybe you should stop stalking me, or maybe I should stop talking to myself, either way, yes, and the link to that is here. However, I wanted this to be a more simplified checklist to help in getting supplies/things/ weapons together for the apocoly....er I mean Quakecon.

I'll do the same as last year and make this an ever expanding list. If you have other stuff to add let me know. After all, this is a list of lesser known items so I'm sure there are some things i didn't think about.

I'm going to list out items based on where you will most likely need them along with my reasoning/notes.

Hotel Room:
    1: Power Strip
    This will be useful for the larger groups rooming up together, just make sure you don't take it into the BYOC.

2: Addition Phone Charger
    Juuuuuuust in case, especially if you have that forgetful friend...

3: Toiletries
    I'm not saying you didn't think about bringing your bathroom stuffs. I am however saying that con funk is real. Sooooooo some peeps aren't getting the memo. Please Shower.

BYOC:
    1:
    Additional Power Cables And USB Cables
    Whether it's desktop power cables, monitor power cables, etc. I recommend bringing some spare ones just in case.

2: Wired Computer Accessories
    I would REALLY recommend using a wired headset. You're going to be in a room with hundreds of other people. A lot of those other people will also have wireless devices and those wireless signals they use will start interfering with each other. I had a constant static and crackling sound in my wireless headset last year so I'm certainly going wired. Not certain if wireless mice or keyboards are affected but it's better to be safe than have your devices not work properly after you get there.

3: Flash Drive/Storage Device
    Whatever you need them for...

4: Wrist Rest/Soft Cloth
    The tables' edges are pretty jagged so they can get kinda sharp. Just bring something to cover the edge of the table with so you can protect those delicate wrists.

5: Cooler and Ice Packs
    Regular ice isn't allowed in the BYOC area. Same goes for large containers of liquid. Melted ice creates large containers of liquid *gasp*. Joking aside, ice packs being sealed plastic packs are a way around this without getting in trouble.

6: Game List
    This isn't necessarily an item you can have (unless you make an actual list of games on a piece of paper), however it is rather important. Make sure you and your group know what games you want to play ahead of the event. That way you can all install and update them as necessary before you even set up your computer in the BYOC.

Misc:

1: Power Bank (External Battery)
    So more than likely everyone going is going to have a smart phone. And more than likely everyone is going to be using them a lot for all kinds of things. However, you may not always be in reach of an outlet with a charge cable. Just take a power bank around with you. That way if you're waiting in line to check your computer in or just at Master Pancake Theatre trying to record the show (that you swear you'll watch later) you'll still have some juice in your phone.

2: Large Bottle With Lid (Suggested by AMooseKnuckle)
    Having a big bottle you can carry around is a great idea. There are water fountains around most bathrooms (including the ones in the BYOC). Also they usually have large water coolers fill with ice water off to the side of the BYOC registration line (in between the BYOC entrance and the Show Room Floor entrance). As I pointed out in my thread last year, (link to that
    here) keeping yourself hydrated is immensely important. Having a bottle you can take throughout the event would definitely help with this.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Jdman196858

Jdman196858 Baby's First WASD

Feb 16, 2015
    Irving Tx
    I know it is texas in the middle of summer but bring a jacket or small blanket (or buy one on the qcon hoodies ;D) you will be sitting for long hours and will get chilly.

3. SnoochieBooch

Jul 19, 2011
    Grapevine, TX
    Yeah, I have that listed in last year's thread that I linked in this post. Hopefully it doesn't get hot in the byoc this year like last year.

KamaKazi06 likes this.
  4. itsTripp

itsTripp Explosive Footwork

Apr 29, 2013
    Forgot about the power bank. Thanks for the reminder. Years ago when we got it in the swag pack I thought it was stupid as hell. Come to find out, I use it often. Good lookin' out Quakecon!

5. Sirskippy

Sirskippy Forum Staff Staff Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    It's great for Pokemon lol

6. Gameking27

Gameking27 Physics Don't Apply

Mar 23, 2015
    Midlothian, Texas
    Bump!

7. AMooseKnuckle

AMooseKnuckle Lost Packets

Mar 29, 2016
    All
    Giant CUP for Water!

8. Gameking27

Gameking27 Physics Don't Apply

Mar 23, 2015
    Midlothian, Texas
    very nice idea moose!

9. SnoochieBooch

Jul 19, 2011
    Grapevine, TX
    Sadly that may constitute as a large open container of water (depending on how big we're talking, lol). However a large bottle with a lid would definitely be a good idea, I'll add it to the misc list.

AMooseKnuckle likes this.
  10. bubblymiss

bubblymiss Lost Packets

Jul 14, 2014
    Grapevine
    No one mentioned Nintendo 3DS yet. Street passes, yo