Site Financials

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Neg1, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Neg1

Neg1 Administrator Staff Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Update on what we have coming up for 2015.

3 domain renewals @ $12 each = $36
    1 Year extension on license for Xenforo our forum platform - $40
    1 Year extension on forum theme license - $25

So about $101 plus tax for those bills.
    We have $849.56 so more than enough to cover our base operating costs.

Other things we have planed are making our banner holder stronger and better then its ever been.

2. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Today we transferred the 3 domains qconforums.com/org and forumwhores.com to google domains from godaddy. This also renewed the domains for another year. Let us know if you have any issues connecting to the site.

julietabbouli likes this.
  3. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The after quakecon update!

This years forum wh0r3s badge fundraiser raised $214.47 after the cost to make the badges.

We had a few costs during quakecon this year:
    Cake for forum wh0r3s meeting $64.78
    Fedex costs to receive packages at the hotel and print the score sheets for the dirty keyboard contest $64.65
    The forums also bought a one year premium dropbox account so we could store all the video footage we took this year $99

After quakecon costs;
    Renewed Xenforo forum license $40
    Renewed Theme license $20
    Purchased two more domains for future use $24

The forums now has $707.01.

We have some plans in the works for the site we will share with you guys once we are closer to locking down the final details.
    One of them we can discus now is the need to move to a VPS type hosting solution, the site went down a few times this month do to the extra traffic we get around quakecon. We are currently paying under $5 month for hosting currently and with a VPS type solution the cost will go to around $40 a month. The forums keep growing and our off year traffic is growing and the plans that we are not fully ready to share yet will also increase traffic. Therefore moving to a stronger server is needed. We will let you guys know if we need more donations but right now we are still looking good.

Big thanks to all that donated for a badge this year.

Thanks to our other sponsors for all the prizes the forums were able to give away this year.

tesoro_logo.png
    Tesoro was the main sponsor this year for the 3rd annual Dirty Keyboard contest! http://www.tesorotec.com/

New-Corsair-Logo-Blog-image.png
    Thanks to Corsair for providing some more keyboards for the contest! http://www.corsair.com/

nvidia.jpg
    Clay from Nvidia again helped us out this year with the Dirty Keyboard contest by providing a few Thermaltake keyboards. http://www.geforce.com/

fractaldesignblacklogo765x329.jpg
    Shout out to Sean from Fractal for providing a case and fans! http://www.fractal-design.com/

262472_211025372280907_3895932_n.jpg
    Thanks to PC Perspective for providing some mobos and coolers to giveaway prior to quakecon and during the forum wh0r3s meeting. http://www.pcper.com/

tteLogoA.png
    Major Shout out to Shannon from Thermaltake for providing all the sweet keyboards, headsets and mice for the forum wh0r3s meeting. http://www.ttesports.com/

4. Methanwyr

Methanwyr Space Marine

Mar 18, 2013
    Poplar Bluff Mo.
    Thanks for letting us All now whats is going on Neg1. Keep up the hard work ya do in our name. Thank you to all the Sponsors

DANGEROUSGIRL likes this.
  5. Beaneater

Beaneater PhD in Pain

Jul 16, 2011
    im glad the badges helped out! i was more than happy to buy my badge instead of just ask for one for free

6. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The badges are the main fundraiser each year for the forums for the last 3 events. To cover the cost to make them we could have people pay like $2 a badge but its easier to just say $5 and put the extra money towards the forums.

7. Beaneater

Beaneater PhD in Pain

Jul 16, 2011
    well i would rather pay $5 just to know i am supporting the forums. if i would have had a 10 on me i was going to give a 10, but all i had was a 5 and 50s lol

8. jex

jex Space Marine

Jul 14, 2015
    TX
    Yep, thanks for the badge. The community is well worth the $5. Maybe next year have a specific time that someone will be at the banner and I'll be able to send more people youre way. I had a few people ask "hey where'd you get a badge for the forums" and I would tell them I had to hunt y'all down. If you need me to sit there for half an hour one day and just sell badges then assuming I'm able to attend I'd be happy to help out.

9. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Pretty much the forum whore meeting Friday at midnight is the place to get one if you don't find of one the admins before then. We are so busy trying to do interviews and other things during the event its hard to schedule a time, but I will try and do something like that next year.

NavyChief likes this.
  10. gnar killin

gnar killin Physics Don't Apply

May 11, 2015
    Hey guys, just curious how you are hosting the site? I didn't notice any hosting listed in the costs above.

11. philadelphiacollins

philadelphiacollins Physics Don't Apply

Jul 8, 2013
    Kalamazoo, MI
    "We are currently paying under $5 month for hosting currently and with a VPS type solution the cost will go to around $40 a month."

12. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    We paid for 3 years of hosting with hostgator 3 and a half years ago, so we have about half a year left. When we did we got it for like $3.50 a month super cheap. At the time that was good enough since we had a low number of users and had to rebuild the community. We are looking into options like VPS type servers.

I know a few people have sent me PMs about letting us use servers they already have, thanks we appreciate the offer but for the security of the site and making sure it stays around for a long time we want to be in full control of the account and server. We don't want what happened to the original forums to ever happen again where one person was in charge and went MIA quit updating the site and it got hacked, or in this case someone gives us a server goes MIA quits paying for it and we lose access to everything. We currently have a group of 7 admins and mods that have access to at the very least view the paypal transactions and the admins can make payments as needed if someone does leave.

We will keep you guys updated with what we decide to do, since any move will also involve some downtime.

Chad likes this.
  13. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks to everyone that donated this year by buying a badge or scratcher. We raised $814 and after paying back the cost to make the scratchers and badges we ended up with $394. I added that to our paypal account so we have $406.51.

All our bills for 2016 are paid. Our next bill due is renewing or finding a new web host in Feburary 2017.

=HPSF=RMP and AlGore like this.
  14. Neg1

Jul 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Web hosting for another year is paid next renewal date 2/11/18.

Main post updated with 2017 bills and paypal total.

Gameking27 and PeasAndClams like this.