Who would be interested in attending another LAN party at the Gaylord?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gaul, May 10, 2017.

Would you attend a small offshoot-LAN at the Gaylord for $50?

Poll closed Wednesday at 11:43 PM.
  1. Yes, only if it's in the Gaylord

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Yes, and I would consider it if it were in Uber-distance of Gaylord

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. N/A, I have my Quakecon ticket, you pleb

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Gaul

Gaul Baby's First WASD

Jul 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    This is a possibility I am 100% seriously considering. No guarantees, no pre-signups occurring, nothing like that.

If there were a 30-50 person LAN at the Gaylord (or next door), would you be interested in attending?

I'm looking into the prices/availability for the Gaylord and nearby venues. I'm not under illusions of the challenges of cost and logistics, but if there were sufficient enthusiasm, it means that costs could be manageable enough to pull it off.

The needed coordinations are not foreign to me; the only considerations are availability of resources by the Gaylord. I know there's a lot going on that week, but I have not confirmed the availability/lack thereof for a single 50-60 person room for the same duration as the main con. I'm working on that as we speak.

The more people that say "yes", the more likely this can occur without me losing money.

2. twodavez

twodavez Super Moderator Staff Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I voted no only because i live far away. I co-run a LAN up in Indiana and would be happy to help you if you had any questions on the set-up, process, or other pit falls that have been learned over the past 5 years and 15+ events put on.

Best of luck. I love seeing new LAN parties, as society told us that PC Gaming was dead or dieing.

3. AlGore

AlGore Space Marine

Aug 4, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just so we're clear, you're talking about having this other LAN at the same time as Quakecon in the same venue as Quakecon, and not just another point in time during the year?

4. Gaul

Gaul Baby's First WASD

Jul 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Yes, I'm talking about the same time as QCon, either at the Gaylord in a smaller conf room, or as close as feasible to the event center (so people can attend all the primetime events).

5. Jauris

Jauris Orbital Strike

Jun 11, 2012
    Carrollton, TX
    Top-tier salt thread

gnar killin, CrAyZeD, jex and 5 others like this.
  6. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    I understand his logic. There are lots of people wanting to come to the BYOC at Quakecon but couldn't get in, so why not give them another LAN party BYOC option close. My guess is that the place is BOOKED, but i have no information to back up that assumption.

Again, best of luck with power and all that this close to the event. My guess would be that Quakecon has it somewhere in their contract that the hotel can't host another event similiar to it during the time they are there, however i'm not sure. I konw if i was throwing an event of that size, i wouldn't watnt anyone mooching off my advertising and throwing a similiar type event in the same space.

7. MilkmanWes

MilkmanWes Baby's First WASD

Jul 14, 2016
    Suddenly this thread makes so much more sense, thanks

8. twodavez

Apr 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, In
    Agreed, i was confused and thought he was aiming for an event around that geographical area as most people can make it there for Quakecon, however during Quakecon is an interesting proposal and something that like i mentioned, i'm sure alot of people would take advantage of to have a LAN experience while still being able to walk to Quakecon panels and all that is the rest of the convention.

9. MilkmanWes

Jul 14, 2016
    OverflowCon '17

gnar killin and ShempsKid like this.
  10. Gaul

Gaul Baby's First WASD

Jul 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I can't believe this sentiment.

More people want to attend the Con than there are spaces for at the main hall. I am asking if there is interest in trying to host an overflow LAN for people who want to game and attend the expo.

I'm not insulting the conference, its organizers or its volunteers (of which I am one). What is the problem?

11. MilkmanWes

Jul 14, 2016

I have a bit of skepticism for all this, but in spite of that I have to applaud that you are trying to rally a community effort to do something about the problem and get people that are left out at least something.

12. Jauris

Jauris Orbital Strike

Jun 11, 2012
    Carrollton, TX
    Would you have made this thread if you got a BYOC seat?

twodavez likes this.
  13. Gaul

Gaul Baby's First WASD

Jul 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    No. That doesn't matter. Of course it's driven by my group's inability to get seats, and the desire to still participate in the expo and the vacation we expected to have.

You seem driven to find malice. If anything, if this happened, it would lose me more money than attending the BYOC; I wouldn't profit from this.